Setting veggie menus ablaze this season comes a winter Chef’s Roll original, a scorched & torched Green Curry Carrot dish that’ll keep guests comfy and full all season long.
by Chef Mikel Anthony
This recipe is part of the Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen, in partnership with Club House for Chefs. To watch it being made, and to learn how to make other dishes, check out Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen on Youtube, Facebook, and ChefsRoll.com.
- 1 tbsp. Melted butter
- ½ cup Carrot puree
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 4 tbsp. Self rising flour
- 1 ea. Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ea. Tiny pinch of salt
Green Curry Carrot
- 1 ea. Large carrot
- ½ cup Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
- 2 ea. Large carrots, diced
- 1 ea. Shallot, minced
- 4 ea. Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Cream
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 cup Seasoned rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 ea. Thin rainbow carrots
- ½ cup Oil from carrot puree (Add a little more if needed.)
- Tapioca maltodextrin (this is tricky. I added a spoon full in at a time.)
Carrot Top Ash
- 1 bunch Carrot tops
For the Carrot Cake:
- Whisk batter and place in thermal whip and charge. If you don’t have a thermal whip, just place in a cup and microwave 1 min.
For the Green Curry Carrot:
- Rub carrot with Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste.
- Vacuum seal and cook sous vide at 185 F for 3 hours.
- Remove and sear with a torch.
For the Carrot Puree:
- Saute shallot and garlic for 2 minutes. Add diced carrots and saute 2 more minutes. Strain the oil and reserve for another application.
- Add in stock and cook down 15 minutes. Add cream and cook down until carrots are tender and cream has reduced by half or thickened.
- Puree and add cream/stock 1 tbsp. at a time to help make smooth. Season to taste.
For the Carrot Pickle:
- Bring water and vinegar to a boil.
- Pour over carrots and cover until cooled.
For the Carrot Powder:
- Whisk in the maltodextrin 1 tbsp. full at a time until fat turns into a dry powder form. Be sure to season oil before adding tapioca maltodextrin.
For the Carrot Top Ash:
- Dehydrate and torch.
- Blitz in a blender, sift and mix with a touch of salt..
- Garnish with fresh carrot tops.
For more flavorful inspiration, visit: www.ClubHouseForChefs.ca