Tamale with Impossible Foods meat, pickled nopales, Serrano pepper, avocado crema, black beans, and cilantro.
by Chef Mikel Anthony
This recipe is part of the Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen, in partnership with Impossible Foods and FOH. To watch it being made, and to learn how to make other dishes, check out Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen on Youtube, Facebook, and ChefsRoll.com.
- 2 cups Maize
- 2 tbsp. Alkaline
- Put maize in a pot and cover slightly above 2 inches with water.
- Add alkaline and bring almost to a boil.
- Turn off heat and let sit overnight.
- Rinse and scrub.
- Grind into masa and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil and ½ cup of mole.
- Add water gradually to get a paste consistency.
- Place in corn husks.
- Impossible Meat
- Make into little balls and sear.
- Add into the masa in corn husks and cover with more masa.
- Form tamales and steam.
Garnish dish with cilantro and sliced Serrano peppers.
- 1 cup Black Beans
- 1 cube Vegetable Bouillon
- 1 qt. Water
- Place in pressure cooker on high for 35 min.
- Partly blend, and season.
- 1 ea. Avocado
- 2 tbsp. Crema
- 1 ea. Lime, juiced
- Whisk together.
- 1 ea. Nopale
- 1 part Water
- 1 part Vinegar
- ½ part Sugar
- Bring water, vinegar, and sugar to a boil.
- Pour over brunoise nopale.
- Let cool and refrigerate.