Mole manchamanteles rubbed pork belly, tomatillo fresca, microcilantro, and fried MIC Food plantain strips.
by Chef Mikel Anthony
This recipe is part of the Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen, in partnership with Mic Food and FOH. To watch it being made, and to learn how to make other dishes, check out Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen on Youtube, Facebook, and ChefsRoll.com.
- 1 lb. Red ancho chiles
- 1 lb. Black ancho chiles
- 1 qt. Pineapple juice
- 1 cup White distilled vinegar
- 2 cups Manteca
- 4 ea. White onion
- 1/2 cup Garlic, peeled
- 4 ea. Black plantain (sliced in half inch thick rounds)
- 3 ea. Heirloom tomato (med size)
- 3 ea. Apples
- 3 ea. Pears
- 2 ea. Sweet potato
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Allspice
- Toast chiles in oven at 350 F for 10 minutes. Chiles should puff and be crisp to touch.
- Add manteca to a size appropriate pot set over medium heat.
- As manteca begins to show signs of smoke, add onions and garlic. Fry until edges of onions and garlic begin to brown and are fragrant.
- Add dry spices and fry for one minute.
- Add tomatoes and lower heat to low-medium. Cook for 10 minutes. Tomatoes will become soft and begin breaking down.
- Next add plantains and all fruit. Cook for 30 minutes until all fruit is soft.
- Next add pineapple juice, white vinegar. Reduce all contents in pot 25% by volume.
- Once reduced, remove pot from heat source and allow to cool for one hour at room temp.
- Blend on high speed until Mole is a puree.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
Pickled Jamaica Leaves
- 1 qt. Jamaica leaves
- 1 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Jamaica juice
- 1 tsp. Star anise
- 1 ea. Garlic clove
- 2 ea. Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Salt
- Add all contents to size appropriate container over medium high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to low and simmer until jamaica leaves are full flavored and softened. (About 30 minutes).
Pork Belly & Plantain Taco
- MIC Food Green Plantain Strips
- Pork belly (desired amount)
- Rub pork belly with mole and roast in the oven until tender. (Usually 350 F for 3 hours.)
- Slice pork belly and serve on your favorite tortilla.
- Garnish with salsa verde and fried plantain strips.