Macaroni, Tomato & Pecorino Sardo Maturo Fonduta
by Chef Dan Kish
The high concentration of nutraceutical compounds such as polyunsaturated fatty acids of the omega-3 series and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) are typical characteristics of Pecorino Sardo P.D.O., as well as other P.D.O. cheeses of the island. The extensive use of high quality pasture grass to feed the animals has helped to preserve the ancient and high nutritional value of our island products, which is what continues to make them so special still today.
(makes 1k batch)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 30 g
- Onions, minced 110 g
- Garlic, minced 10 g
- White Wine 45 g
- Organic Tomatoes, diced 675 g
- Salt, Kosher 15 g
- Pecorino Sardo, Maturo 115 g
- Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent, do not brown.
- Add white wine, reduce by half.
- Add diced tomatoes, cook for 30 minutes uncovered, over low heat.
- When ready to serve, Heat the cooked tomatoes, then add the Pecorino Sardo Maturo ,and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
(to serve 1)
- Macaroni, Campagnelli, cooked 200 g
- Butter, unsalted 15 g
- Water, from cooking the pasta 30 g
- Salt, Kosher 3 g
- Black Pepper, fresh ground 1 g
- For the Macaroni, heat the butter, water, salt, and pepper to a boil. Add Campagnelle pasta, and toss to coat evenly, and to reheat the pasta
- Serve Macaroni over the Tomato Fonduta, with Basil pesto and additional Grated Pecorino Sardo Maturo.