Striped Sea Bass – Pine Nut Jasmine Rice Pilaf, Coconut Lime Foam & Mushroom Curry Leaf Temper
by Chef/Owner Fatima Ali of PakistanVan in Brooklyn, New York
- 4 oz. Striped Sea Bass
- Seasoned Flour (for dusting)
- tt. Salt, Pepper, Ground Coriander
- Heat cast iron pan with 1 teaspoon peanut oil. Cook fish skin side down, holding firmly so the flesh does not curl up for a few seconds.
- Cook on med-high heat until flesh begins to turn opaque about 30% up the filet.
- Remove fish onto a half sheet tray with wire rack skin side up. Finish cooking in oven (450 o F) until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1-inch pc. Ginger julienne
- 1 cup. Shallot, sliced
- 1 ea. Lemon, juiced + zested
- 1 tbsp. Turbinado Sugar
- tt. Salt/Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in sauce pot, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain, discard half of softened ginger and shallots, blend the rest with the liquid in Vitamix until frothy.
- Reserve warm.
- 1 ea. Shallot, small diced
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- ½ cup Pine Nuts
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1.5 cup Chicken Broth
- Sauté shallots in oil until translucent, toast pine nuts until lightly browned in sauce pot.
- Add rice, stock and season with salt. Bring to simmer and lower flame – cook for 10-12 mins until grains are soft and all stock has been absorbed.
- Let stand 10 mins before fluffing.
- 8 ea. Button Mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Peanut Oil
- Add oil and butter to pan, fry mustard seeds, curry leaves and garlic until lightly toasted and aromatic.
- Add mushrooms, toss well on high heat for 2 mins and reserve.
- Using a large ring cutter, spoon jasmine rice onto plate, leveling with the back of the spoon.
- Place crispy fish filet skin side up slightly off center of rice.
- Spoon over temper on the side of the filet.
- And pour sauce around the rice.
- Garnish with micro greens and edible flowers.