Coulotte Tartare Cobb Salad
by Chef/Owner Fatima Ali of VanPakistan in Brooklyn, New York
- 12 oz. Texas Beef Council Coulotte steak
- 1 pint Minor’s Bacon Base
- 2 ea. Heirloom Tomato (sungolds/sweet)
- 1 pint Fresh Origins Petite Mint Lemon
- 1 pint Fresh Origins Micro Radish Firework
- 1 pint Fresh Origins Kale Flowers (Blue)
- 1 ea. Shallots
- 1 ea. Avocado
- 1 ea. Lemon
- 3 oz. Danish Blue Cheese
- 1 pint Buttermilk
- 12 ea. Quail Eggs
- 1 pt. Sour Cream
- 1 pt. Butter
- 1 pt. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pt. Champagne Vinegar
- 1 loaf Sour Dough
- Caraway & Onion Seeds
- Soft boil quail eggs – immerse in boiling salted water for 4 minutes, shock in iced water, peel and reserve. Cut six 3 inch sourdough rounds and toast in a cast iron pan with 10 grams of bacon base and 10 grams of butter. Reserve toasts. Small dice fresh avocado and heirloom tomatoes separately, dress with lemon juice and EVOO.
- Blue Cheese Bacon Dressing: Purée 85 gms blue cheese with 170 gms buttermilk, 85 gms sour cream, 30 gms Minors bacon base, 30 gms champagne vinegar, fresh cracked pepper in a vitaprep till smooth. Strain into isi Siphon, charge with n2O cartridge and chill.
- Tartare: Small dice coulotte steak, add toasted caraway and onion seeds, 10 gms bacon base, lemon zest, cracked pepper, brunoise shallot and EVOO. Mix well, chill. Assemble dish by siphoning blue cheese bacon dressing on plate, layer toast with avocado and tomato, a spoon of beef tartare and a half of the soft boiled quail egg. Top with dressed micro radish, petite lemon mint and kale flowers.