Maple-cardamon poached pear with vanilla-saffron Greek yogurt and pistachios
by Chef Mikel Anthony
This recipe is part of the Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen Series and is made in partnership with Crown Maple and Front of the House. To watch it being made, and to learn how to make other dishes, check out Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen on Youtube, Facebook, and ChefsRoll.com.
- 1,000 g. White Wine
- 500 g. Crown Maple Dark Syrup
- 4 pc. Cardamon
- 5 ea. Pears
- 800 g. Greek Yogurt
- 4 ea. Vanilla Beans, scraped
- 0.5 g. Saffron
- 300 g. Pistachios, chopped
- Place white wine, cardamon pods, and Crown Maple syrup in medium rondeau. Bring to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, peel pears leaving stems. Cut in half and core out the the seeds. Place pears in rondeau and simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes until they start to soften. Remove pears and allow them to cool.
- Reduce the braising liquid until light syrup is achieved.
- Take the saffron and steep in a small out of water over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Place yogurt, vanilla bean, and strain saffron liquid. Stir to combine.
- Place yogurt on the base of the plate and top with a halved pear. Swirl around the reduced poaching liquid. Garnish with pistachios.