Crown Maple glazed bacon with cake and peanut pretzel gelato.
by Chef Mikel Anthony
This recipe is part of the Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen Series and is made in partnership with Crown Maple and Front of the House. To watch it being made, and to learn how to make other dishes, check out Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen on Youtube, Facebook, and ChefsRoll.com.
- 500 g. Heavy Cream
- 500 g. Milk
- 100 g. Smoked Crown Maple Syrup
- 150 g. Sugar
- 200 g. Egg Yolk
- 250 g. Smoked Bacon
- Peanut butter and Tapioca Maltodextrin (as needed)
- Dice smoked bacon and slowly render in a saute pan over medium heat until lightly colored. Remove bacon from the pan with fat and place into a container with milk and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain bacon flavored milk into a sauce pan and bring to a light boil. Meanwhile add sugar and egg yolks to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Temper in hot milk into yolk mixture then return back to the sauce pan on low heat. Stir until 185F and remove from heat. Strain mixture into a new container.
- Add heavy cream and smoked Crown Maple syrup. Stir to combine. Chill this mixture overnight.
- Bake bacon, chop, and coat with syrup in a pan.
- Mix peanut butter and tapioca maltodextrin in a blender until it forms a powder.
- Churn ice cream. Garnish with a drizzle of Crown Maple Smoked Maple Syrup, peanut butter powder, and a few crispy bacon lardons.