Aussie Lamb Tartare by Ryan Peters, Sous Chef at Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, Florida.
Serves 4 people
1 lb. Aussie Ground Lamb
3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 each White Asparagus Stems, finely minced
1 each Lemon, finely minced, no pith
2 T Harissa Spice Mix (dried chiles, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, caraway seeds)
1c Greek Yogurt
TT Lime Juice
4 each White Asparagus Stems, sliced with a peeler into thin ribbons
½c Rice Wine Vinegar
2 each Watermelon Radish
2 each Spring Onions
- For the tartare base, place the Aussie Ground Lamb in a bowl. Add olive oil, minced raw asparagus, minced lemon, sliced chives. Mix to combine and season as necessary with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Take Harissa dry spices and dry toast in a sauté pan. Cool down and blend in a spice grinder. Pass through a chinois and combine with yogurt and lime juice to taste. Place in piping bag or squeeze bottle.
- Combine rice wine vinegar, water and sugar in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil and reduce by ¼. Cool completely. If you have access to a chamber vacuum sealer, place asparagus ribbons in a small bowl. Pour pickling liquid over top as well as a few ice cubes to regulate the temperature in the cryovac machine. Place bowl in cryovac machine and cryovac one time as is. Store in the refrigerator in the liquid.
- Slice watermelon radish on a mandolin and then cut out with a small ring cutter. Hold in ice water.
- Cut the spring onion tops (green) into 1-2” pieces, slice to open into a flat piece. Slice very thin and then immediately into ice water. Reserve.
- Using a ring mold, place a small amount of tartare on the plate and press gently. Remove mold.
- Place a few dots of Harissa Yogurt around the plate.
- Top the tartare with a few ribbons of Pickled Asparagus, Spring Onion Ribbons, and Raw Watermelon Radish. Enjoy!