Boniato ice cream with candied pecans.
by Chef Mikel Anthony
This recipe is part of the Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen, in partnership with MIC Food and FOH. To watch it being made, and to learn how to make other dishes, check out Chef’s Roll Test Kitchen on Youtube, Facebook, and ChefsRoll.com.
Cook Time: 00:45:00 / Temperature: 181 F / Serves: 3
- Tio Jorge Sweet Potato Chunks
- 6 ea. Egg yolks
- 1 cup 2% Milk
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 3/8 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth on low.
- Place the ice cream mixture into a vacuum pouch and vacuum seal.
- Place the vacuum pouch into the water bath and cook sous vide for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes has passed, remove the ice cream base from the water bath and submerge the pouch in a heavily iced bath until it has cooled completely.
- Pour the contents of the bag into a blender and blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Blend the boniato / sweet potato in a food processor and pass through a tami. Fold the sweet potato into the custard base.
- Pass the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and freeze according to your ice cream manufacturer’s instructions.
- Reserve in the freezer until ready to serve.
- 1 part Water
- 1 part Sugar
- Cook down into simple syrup.